Helping our clients create change that matters.
Sustainable, dynamic and smart, that’s what makes 1 New Street Square so impressive. The £90m+ redevelopment of Deloitte’s London HQ was ground-breaking.
The building provides 280,000 sq. ft. of BCO Grade ‘A’, BREEAM ‘Excellent’ office space and was the largest WELL Gold, New and Existing Interiors project in the world.
And this is the story of how gliderbim® unlocked next-level performance on project data and information management to help Deloitte create a digital twin of its new workplace.
Glider was commissioned to join the project team as a BIM Manager for the interior fit-out phase by Overbury. There was a requirement to firstly ensure all information was compliant with industry standards for BIM delivery, coordination and handover of asset information. Therefore, by leveraging our software solution gliderbim®, we knew we could successfully deliver above and beyond the standard BIM level 2 requirements (in place at the time).
For the client, the space needed to be unique, connected, simple, relevant and inspiring and it was our role to ensure these requirements were realised through clever information management.
The client requirement was for Glider and the project team to utilise BIM processes and technology to:
- Deliver the design and construction of the project using Level 2 BIM standards.
- Prepare a highly accurate 3D model of all building elements and systems.
- Provide on-demand access to Asset data and Operations & Maintenance (O&M) information for the Building Management and Facilties Management (FM) teams.
- Provide performance trend analysis for maintainable assets.
- Asset tag plant & equipment with QR codes and link to models, asset data and O&M information.
- Integrate gliderbim® with the client’s CAFM system – IBM Maximo.
- Integrate gliderbim® with the client’s iBMS platform.
- Scenario testing for future moves and changes.
- Reporting, including: environmental, energy consumption, plant & equipment performance, PPM management & monitoring, cause & effect testing.
The project required a monumental collaborative effort by all members of the project team to deliver the sheer volume of accurate, structured data to ensure the foundations of the digital twin information architecture were built.
Plus, this project wasn’t without its challenges, and common to many fit-out projects, the requirements from the shell and core development differed to those defined by the client for the fitout.
Models for the shell and core were made available, but these were ‘for construction’ or design intent models rather than as-built models. A key role to ensure accurate coordination of the fitout was to update these models to reflect the as-built condition.
As part of the model update, any additional assets that the client deemed a requirement were modelled and asset tagged ready for integration with the client’s CAFM and iBMS platforms. This ensured a comprehensive understanding of the shell and core maintainable elements of the building.
The intended use of gliderbim® on the project was to provide a central solution for the information silos, connecting all the deliverables into a single common data environment.
Keys functions of gliderbim® are to import, analyse, validate and exchange structured asset data. As such, gliderbim® was used as the mechanism for collating all structured asset data for the project that was needed to:
- Align with the data required for the client’s chosen CAFM platform, IBM Maximo
- Create a standard, consistent data schema and naming convention for all plant, equipment, levels, and spaces that were to be monitored by the client’s iBMS platform
The data requirements were captured in the gliderbim® Plan of Work module to which all information can be tracked and validated. Updates to data can then be managed in a controlled manner on the gliderbim® using a dynamic feature called RFI’s.
A key project requirement was to link the CAFM and BIM databases. To achieve this and automate the process, an integration was built between the client’s CAFM solution and gliderbim® using the gliderbim® API. This allows an FM user to find an asset within gliderbim® and then in a single click automatically be taken to the asset record within the CAFM platform. This then enables the team to raise work orders, etc against their assets. The link is bi-directional and works in a similar manner if navigating from the CAFM system taking you to the record within gliderbim® for the relevant O&M and commissioning records to be reviewed.
Data was progressively captured throughout the project, validated and shared with the client’s FM team to test core FM functionality with the CAFM solution. This approach enabled a smooth transition of data at project handover. The ‘RFI’ function within gliderbim® now enables continued updates to structured data as the building changes throughout the operational phase of the building.
Common Data Environment Benefits for FM
Not only does BIM for FM reduce costs, integrate systems and improve building performance, it also provides a single source of truth for asset data and information, including the final as-built Asset Information Model integrated with all of the following:
- Asset database for all maintainable MEP systems, plant & equipment
- O&M Manuals/Health & Safety File
- Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) information
- Testing & commissioning and completion certification
- Performance specifications
- Part L Building Energy Log Book
Now that the Asset Information Model is already built and ready for use prior to handover, having the gliderbim® CDE vastly reduced time and cost needed to build the CAFM system, which can now be automatically populated using the structured digital data.
The integration of gliderbim® with the client’s iBMS platform enables the FM team to easily:
- Locate faulty equipment more easily
- Navigate from alarm management platforms direct to the specific element in the 3D Model and associated O&M information
- Transition from CAFM direct to the specific element in the 3D Model and associated O&M information
- Receive smart notifications of work orders and BMS alarms that already contain the asset information the Engineers need
More complete, accurate and accessible asset performance data allows for faster analysis and resolution of problems and fewer breakdowns: asset users are then happier and more productive in their environment.
This project was a true transformation of the workspace. Deloitte made a significant investment in 1 New Street Square, creating a remarkable flagship UK office and an important asset in London’s smart building cityscape.